Leaf

Leaf

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Tremors

Christmas 2011
Night.
Quiet outside. Not a sound.

It's the best part of the day because the silence enshrines those who aren't sleeping yet. It is a holy sensation to realize that the only light in the dark comes from where you are.
I often imagine a passer-by peeking, unseen, into our kitchen: he will see the cotton tablecloth and a pinkish light from the lantern, and he will think of the scene as a warm Kincade indoor setting. 

A temblor.
It doesn't stop and it's not the refrigerator fan. The walls and the ceilings shake.
The rumble.
C.'s hand, gently holding mine from the nearest side of the table, has now a firmer grip. I get up prompting her to do the same, and I say, "Come". I open the door leading to the terrace and fire-escape, but we just stand underneath the door jamb. The rumble is much louder from outside.
C. doesn't understand why we're not rushing in the yard, so I say, "Trust me".
She is holding me tight leaning her head against my chest, and I hold her tight too.
I see a cat bolting scared across the back street from the backyard.
And it's gone: "See? We're still here together". 
No big deal, really. I'm used to it, but the rumble, with its soft and caring muffled sound, still manages to form in me a sensation of deep disquietude.

I used to be very fascinated by Jung's description of the human psyche as linked to the geology of the earth.
What if the quake was but a perturbation of the soul? Mine, maybe, or her's, or someone else's, or, rather, of a wider collective conscience?

This happened last night at 12.22am and lasted for about fifteen seconds.

Have you ever experienced an earthquake, or a temblor? Which aspect of it scares you the most?   

.

7 comments:

  1. I experienced them when I lived in Japan, but I was so young I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I experienced a scale 6 in North Wales. We were sleeping in wooden cabins, and it was excitement more than fear. The mountains looked just the same when we woke up again next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, yes, this happened several months ago here in Cali, here and there for about 2 days. My first earthquake experiences ever; thankfully, they were mild.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your full name!! Jacopo Paoloni - it has rhythm!

    Awwwww I'd not be as calm or philosophical or romantically inclined if I'm ever caught in a earthquake! I'd be more like that cat bolting! Oh but I think your experience is utterly lovely!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex,
    I'd remember an earthquake in Japan even if I had been 1 year old when it happened!

    Mike,
    It's excitement indeed when you're in the middle of nowhere and only the sky - or a cloud at the most - can fall onto your head.

    Raquel,
    California, yes, if I were you, I'd move right to the East Coast as soon as I could.

    Kitty,
    Why, thank you!
    What can I say, love, death, amor, war, I'm very romantically inclined when it comes to these things of life.
    Take care too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, yes! We live on a fault line here in Utah... it can be pretty intense!

    But I must say that your writing here was fantastic, Jay. Really captivating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's something ominous and exciting about that rumble, Morgan.
    Thanks for your compliment and for your visit.

    ReplyDelete