Leaf

Leaf

Monday, August 20, 2012

Down With Plastic

You will hardly find plastic bags in the European Union now.
All the bags are biodegradable, made from corn fabric and other similar natural and fiber materials.
Looks and feels like plastic, but it isn’t. They naturally melt after a period of a few weeks.
Is that progress or not.

We all know how useless and environmentally unfriendly plastic bags are. Yet, supermarkets won’t spare the use of them. The cashiers, in some cases, will give you up to a plastic bag per item! I mean it! I saw that! It’s only in the higher level grocery stores you will pay 5c or 10c for a plastic bag, but who can’t really afford to pay that?
The next thing you see is a seagull going through slow death because he remained trapped in a plastic bag, or a whale floating dead in the water with a swollen stomach because she took a plastic bag for jelly fish.

“Oh well, I never leave plastic bags in the environment”.

That’s not the point, prick! Don’t you get it? You won’t, but someone else will and ten cents for a plastic bag are not enough to stop stupidity in action.
The system clearly doesn’t work.

And people won’t buy fabric bags for $2 either. Why should they, when they can have ten plastic bags, perhaps more, for $1? They’re too unintelligent to realize that buying three fabric bags for $6, they won’t have to spend a penny on shopping bags for years. People just don’t have an eye in the future; they can only see the here and now.

So, the Europeans are going through their Great Depression; they’re burning out billions of Euros per day. Still, there’s something important we can learn from them.

Do you use lots of plastic bags?
Don’t!

.

12 comments:

  1. SO, SO TRUE! I hate the wastefulness of this country in general. Water bottles, Dixie cups and plates, etc. Such a waste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather,
      Yes, such a waste. People don't have a concept, really.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree. Fabric is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And how much more romantic is fabric!

      Delete
  3. There's still a bag surfeit here in London. I wave my recycled bag in the shopkeepers' faces and they still want to stick the goods in their plastic ones..... Drives me crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Tony,
      I sometimes have to point out to the guy who puts the items in the bag: "You see I have my own bag". I usually add, "Dammit", although not out loud.

      Delete
  4. We always use our cloth bags, and I request paper when I don't happen to have those. I use the paper in my sketchbook and in paintings, and they're biodegradable to boot. In California, ALL grocery stores charge those extra cents. They add up after a bit! Still, the majority of folks get plastic... it's sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Raquel,
      And when you tell them that you'd rather use paper, they go, "Oh, so you don't care about the trees, huh?". Once I replied to this, "It would take me a while to explain to you that is recycled paper, and that there's a way to make it environmentally friendly using paper and that's the way I do it. But I'll skip it this time. That's too hard a challenge".

      Delete
  5. Wales introduced charging for bags and in synch with that some shops introduced 'bags for life' which you re-use until they're all but decayed and then you have them replaced gratis. The only bug bear now is that there is no recycling. We can recycle cans, bottles, paper, cardboard, plastics - but not plastic bags. Weird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I know Mike,
      Funny, in light of the fact that plastic bags are the ones that cause the most damage.

      Delete
  6. I love this post, Jay!
    I agree with you 100%. When I go grocery shopping, I usually bring my canvas bags UNLESS I forget, which is very rare. I am seeing, however, more biodegradable plastic bags in Canada and the USA. In fact, in upstate NY they give you a ten-cent discount for each canvas bag you bring to the store ;) I think little by little we're seeing more awareness towards the environment (I just hope it's not too late by the time everyone comes to a consensus).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid we'll be already on Mars by the time everyone comes to a consensus, gazing at the Earth with a binocular, and telling a friend, "You know, one of my third-degree uncles used to live there".
    "No kiddin'?? Kool!"

    ReplyDelete