Leaf

Leaf

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Our Secret Chamber

Belltower - Berlin, 2003 (Slide)
Secrets make our lives valuable.

Psychologist Carl Gustav Jung wrote in his autobiography Memories, Dreams, Reflections:

It is important to have a secret, a premonition of things unknown. It fills life with something impersonal, a numinosum. A man who has never experienced that has missed something important. He must sense that he lives in a world which in some respects is mysterious; that things happen and can be experienced which remain inexplicable; that not everything which happens can be anticipated. The unexpected and the incredible belong in this world. Only then is life whole. For me the world has from the beginning been infinite and ungraspable.

We all must have a small personal secret. It's our connection with the hidden, introverted side of ourselves, the one we turn to when our soul curls up and relies on its own warmth.
A secret makes us feel good. That's it. It makes us feel protected, hidden because it is protected and hidden. We are our secret and nobody else is aware of it.
A secret is a projection of ourselves; we identify with it, we create a connection with it. We are it.

A secret is the little pebble from your hometown creek that you always carry with you, in your pocket, touching it whenever you need to reconnect with your deeper self.
It is the mantra you recite on the subway train, making sure nobody can hear you or see your lips moving.
It is the faces you pull when you're alone in the elevator and the doors finally close; but when they reopen, the cutest cherub in the floor is back: serious, determined, reliable. We're damn professionals here!
It is the diary you fill in at the end of each day, or whenever you have something personal to write in it.

A tiny, personal secret helps us balance our social life and the personal, more intimate side of ourselves.
We often travel and try to have experiences of all sorts and kinds; we sometimes forget, instead, that major sources of inspiration can be found inside of ourselves, in that secret chamber that contains, after all, worlds of mysteries and wonders!

Do you have a secret?
What is it?

.

13 comments:

  1. Do you have a secret?
    What is it?


    Mischievous bugger! It wouldn't be a secret then. Even hinting I might or might not have a secret weakens the ju ju

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hide secrets. A candy wrapper with a special saying on it. A note I wrote to someone I dreamed about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My secret shall remain a secret. There are things we keep to ourselves always, aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being secretly married for six years has been entirely empowering. (Okay, but you said small…)

    I love your images/descriptions here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike,
    Glad you didn't fall in the trap!
    Ah, you know, I'm a joker by nature.

    Lostariel,
    I hide secrets too! Never in the world would I let my secrets out!

    Mary,
    Haha, of course it shall!

    Christie,
    Secretly married, hmm...
    I'm glad you appreciated the imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,
    Humm, yea, well...
    Thanks for commenting!
    Next!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautifully written, Jay. I'm not sure what my secret is by words, but it has something to do with the blue-black silhouettes of trees at night, the fire lanterns that fill the sky in late summer in Michigan, and the flowers my husband brings me just because. Something in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make it all sound so warm and fuzzy, and I can see the sense to which you are referring about this, but some of my secrets I don't know that I ever let out even though some of them are crying out to be told---though to what avail.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I ever had a secret it'll probably be very dull and boring! LOL!!!

    Oh ok! I don't think I'm old and I am not a kitty! LOL!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Raquel,
    Your secret is definitely a romantic one!

    Arlee,
    Right, all secrets cry out to be told, but the smart one won't tell them anyway! You must be a smart one (oh, this is only my assumption).

    Kitty,
    At this point, may I ask why in the world you call yourself Old Kitty if you're not a kitty and you're not old?
    Thank you for dropping by, Kitty, I mean, Old, I mean, hum, what do I call you now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely and true. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy,
    Welcome back!
    Thank you very much, that's very lovely of you.
    I'll go visit your blog. I couldn't access it in the past months.
    I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete