Leaf

Leaf

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Who's Got the Sweetest Disposition?

Donald Duck, drawn by Carl Barks
Who never ever starts an argument? Who never shows a bit of temperament?

Oh, who doesn't remember the cute tune from those 40s and 50s Donald Duck cartoons? Who doesn't remember the epic Christmas snow fight between Donald Duck and the three nephews, the raging jealousy inflaming his rivalry with Cousin Gladstone, or the endlessly complicated adventures Scrooge McDuck gets him into?
I certainly do!

Unca Donald is an ensemble of all the human traits, either positive or negative, that we can normally find in people - and in ourselves. He is at times jealous, at times generous; at times mean and sweet, unfortunate and honest, a liar and a wise duck, a trouble-maker and a yellow, a grump and a smartass! He is probably one of the most imperfect characters ever created. That's why we all inevitably sympathize with him. He always has to face the consequences of his actions. Unlike Mickey, he does so only because fate has forced him back against the wall, but he will try to blame someone else first. He will try to get away with it, just as we try to (I, at least); and, just as it happens to us (to me, at least), he always gets caught and pitilessly exposed to public derision. Fortune gives him the cold shoulder even when he most deserves to be rewarded. Yet, he often ends up the victor and, just as often, he ends up the vanquished, no matter how good his intentions were.
Donald Duck is a container of behavioral chiaroscuros, but when all is said and done, he is always a good duck; he always finds a way to redeem himself through the many contradictions of his character.
He is fortunate enough to have been drawn by the best comic artists in the world, Carl Barks, Don Rosa, Giorgio Cavazzano, Massimo DeVita, Al Taliaferro, only to name a few.

Since I was a kid, Donald Duck has been for me a role model in some ways. I would literally devour Donald Duck comics and would read each of his stories hundreds of times. I would re-enact his adventures with my imagination whenever I had a hard time falling asleep.

I have to confess that for my acting I often copy from Donald Duck.
If I have the chance to re-adapt a gesture, face, or pout he made to one of my performances, then I will, yes siree Bob!
I suppose this is my way to say thanks, and I would never ever miss the chance!

Who's fond of Donald Duck raise hand!


.

16 comments:

  1. Donald Duck was always a big favorite of mine. I remember my amusement and admiration whenever I would encounter someone who was able to pull off a pretty decent impersonation of the Duck. I never was able to do it myself though I often tried. Yeah, I liked Goofy alright, but I was always more of a Duck guy than a Mouse guy. And Donald had a cuter girlfriend--I mean for a Duck.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Donald Duck! He's a character indeed. My sister absolutely loves him, and so do I. In my opinion, Mickey is a flat character. Yes, for kids, Mickey is great, but for grown ups, Donald is more real. Like you said, he's full of conflicts and emotions, just like us. In all honesty, I never liked Mickey (not even as a child). I always loved Pluto, Donald, Daisy, Chip 'n Dale, and Donald's nephews. ;)
    Cute post, Jay. It made me reminisce of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never given much thought to Donald but you bring up some very good points. I will have to be more observant.
    I did love watching Huey, Dewey and Louie as a child though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How clever is this??? Too fun, Jay. I totally enjoyed this post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep I'm a duck man - but it's a close call between Daffy and Donald : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, I never knew Donald Duck all that well. But now you've made me long to do so! Thanks for the very fun post.

    Happy June!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of all things he is banned in some countries for not wearing pants.

    Everyone laughed when had a fit and cussed in duck language. I do something similar in the spring when I try to start the lawn mower for the first time. Unfortunately I don't know duck language.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arlee,
    Goofy is okay, but Daisy! I'd like to just smack her sometimes! But yes, she's cute!

    Daft,
    Daffy Duck? Puah.
    Do you remember Donald Vs. Daffy in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"? If they hadn't interrupted it, Donald would have won a thousand times!

    Claudia,
    I agree, Mickey is the epitome of perfect rationality. I'd like to have Mickey as a friend; yet, I realize I'm more Donald than Mickey!

    Heather,
    Huey, Dewey, and Louie are three lovely kids, but they must be such a pain sometimes! Always going around with that hateful Woodchucks manual!

    Morgan,
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    Mike,
    Great, I'm a Duck man too. But a Disney duck. Daffy... hmm, not sure I agree with you on this one.

    Christie,
    Welcome to the world of Ducks!
    You might want to check this site for the best stories on Donald Duck and the McDuck family ever written (and the best drawings you can find):
    http://disneycomics.free.fr/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post! I love the Disney characters!

    I hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always get excited when someone used the word chiaroscuro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a Daffy Duck fan - cos he tries so hard to reach is dastardly goal and always fails and he spits everywhere!! Awww but Scrooge McDuck is a great character!!

    Yay for channeling your inner Donald Duck though! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm. I guess mine didn't post.
    I sound like Donald every spring when I try to start the lawn mower. Unfortunately you can actually understand my language.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn,
    Have a great weekend too!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    Lostariel,
    I'll use that word much more often from now on!

    Kitty,
    Oh no, you're a Daffy Duck fan too? What's with this here Daffy Duck!
    Anyway, you salvaged it: yes, Scrooge McDuck is a great one too!

    Dan,
    You should blame blogger I guess.
    I also sound a lot like Donald when my laptop gets stuck.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry, Jay, but I cannot raise my hand, here. Even as a kid, Donald Duck irritated my beyond belief-- something about all that squawking was like nails on a chalk board. Yet your analysis is intriguing-- perhaps I've been denying certain personality traits all these years?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Raquel, ok, I understand his voice might not be the most pleasing in the world.
    I think, if you really want to know the real Donald Duck, you should focus on the comics rather than the cartoons.
    I'll be very happy if his personal multi-traits can give you some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete