Leaf

Leaf

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Amaluna

Amaluna
I was supposed to write about a different topic today. It can wait.

After seeing Amaluna, Cirque Du Soleil's new work, I just couldn't help but dedicate a few lines to it.
The show I attended was one of the general rehearsals preceding the actual performance, which will premiere April 19th, 2012.

Walking, ticket in hand, towards le Grand Chapiteau, a huge heated tent which will host the show for the next two months, I was transported by the typical itch that a passionate of time philosophy will experience at the idea of opening the glass door of a pendulum clock.

The setting, in its simple bamboo-like patterns, was itself a work of art evoking the romantic, dangerous, and fable-like atmosphere of a tropical island.
Yet, I could never have expected the degree of marvel that was to follow.
A spectacle of lights and flying little creatures suddenly floating around, complex acrobatic exercises performed in and on the edge of a glass hemisphere full of water; a white swan whose mysterious grace would fascinate and condemn to unfulfilled love any sensitive soul and the shady charms of a lizard that turned into a most dexterous and disquieting evil juggler hindering with his powers the love between a gracious creature and a modern-times young Ulysess; blue erinyes flying in like dei ex machina and elegant dancers tangoing on suspended ropes; a young bride kidnapped from the sky and her lover desperately climbing up a pole to rescue her; curious and beautiful cyclogynaikas gliding around on their wheeled foot and skillful women acrobats in red maillots spellbinding the audience.

Throughout the show, my mind was haunted by the most colorful adjectives and it anticipated writing this article. 
To draw a comparison, I could say I was involved in a mixture of Avatar and Greek mythology with a sprinkle of Alice in Wonderland, The Golden Ass, and a pinch of The Never Ending Story to taste. The difference is that no special effects were used, the performance was much, much more touching and encompassing, and the performers some among the best in the world.
I would watch the show over and over again.

Have you heard of Cirque Du Soleil?
Have you ever watched one of their shows?

.

11 comments:

  1. I've never seen a show, but that sounds magical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of them but I suspect I'd find their athleticism just a little tooooo despiriting : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved "Love"—the Cirque du Soleil Beatles show. Your description is wonderful. Hope you get to go back often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness... That pic is GORGEOUS... I love Cirque. I've seen 5 of their live shows at least. I know I've seen O, Mystere, La Nouba, Alegria, and Varekai. It's such an art--my hubs actually performed in one of their mini Vegas shows and went to Montreal to help with a new show a couple years ago. They are a cool breed of people!

    I love the emotion that can be portrayed through music, and dance, and Cirque's crazy movement. Gosh, now you've got me longing to see one. Amaluna looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing, Jay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of Cirque du Soleil but have never been to their shows but your post here has tempted me!! Sounds gorgeous! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lostariel,
    It was magical indeed!

    Mike,
    I know what you mean. I'm personally in pretty good shape, but their athleticism still made me feel ashamed of myself! But hell, they're the best in the world! If you think that your athleticism is anyway good among the non-best in the world, you're going to be just fine!

    Christie,
    That was the first show I saw by Cirque Du Soleil, but it was enough to make me want to see the next one!

    Morgan,
    Your husband performed in one of their shows? You didn't give details about the performance! Was it acrobatics? Singing? Playing? Juggling?? I've got to know!

    Kitty,
    Great, go see a show and you'll see I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that sounds marvelous. I have not been fortunate enough to see any of their shows. One day perhaps. Until then, I'll experience vicariously through you. We were not fortunate enough to have Cirque when I lived in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary,
    Oh well, I haven't been that fortunate either; I saw the show in Montreal :)
    Not sure my description equals their performance, but if you can make do with it until then...
    Thanks for stopping by!
    I always enjoy your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There have been posters and advertisements everywhere near here, and I've been wondering what it was all about! It sounds amazing! Thanks for the review... I am definitely tempted to see it, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw Dralion when they were in London a few years ago. It was truly amazing and really thought-provoking. Would love to see more of their stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Raquel,
    Well, now you know what it's about!
    Hope you'll enjoy it if you go see it!

    Jeff,
    I saw Dralion. If you enjoyed that one, you will enjoy Amaluna even more!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete