Leaf

Leaf

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Time to reset our comfort zone!

Christmas 2010 - Home
How many times have we heard the sentence, "You must leave your comfort zone!"?

Throughout the year, we put ourselves out there trying to stand out as actors, writers, students, taking the challenges upon ourselves, doing all-nighters, and getting caffeinated, often sacrificing our homely comfort for the well-deserved prizes to come.
Christmas is the period of the year when our career duties are put on hold. Our comfort zone becomes a place we can resort to without feeling guilty about it.

TV commercials show squirrels gathering inside their warm, dim, and cozily furnished tree-holes; wine flows in rivulets, Christmas stockings hang from the mantelpiece while sparks harmlessly pop and crack in the air. Larders are horns-of-plenty where the quantity and quality of food mark the special event.
The warmly set table with cheese and honey, a bottle of wine, pickles and bread, glasses filled to the rim, and lasagna being served while friends laugh together is one of the dearest spots within my comfort zone.

Where is your comfort zone? What element is absolutely essential to it?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jay,
    Ah, my comfort zone is my mom's house. Every time I visit, especially for the big holidays (e.g. Thanksgiving Day, Christmas, etc) I feel as I had never left. She makes all those special dishes that I love. People usually say, "Home is where the heart is." I think having two homes is possible. I know I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia,
    You're so right! I think we all love our mom's house and her special dishes!
    Hope you can be where the heart is during these holidays, whether it's your mom's house or your second house!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this post. I have been feeling guilty about "slowing down" recently; it's good to know that it is in fact an acceptable time to guiltlessly unwind!
    My comfort zone is also my mom’s house. Enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please may I join your Christmas comfort zone?
    :-) Oh but seriously!! My comfort zone this Christmas is just sinking into my sofa with Charlie, home baked pizza to hand and a Bloody Mary while watching Terry Pratchett dvds. My essential element is not having to go to work! Bliss!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brit,
    I think it is absolutely necessary to slow down after a whole year of hard work. No need to feel guilty!

    Old Kitty,
    Not having to go to work is my essential element too! Of course you may join my Christmas comfort zone! Yours sounds just as attractive though!

    ReplyDelete