Leaf

Leaf

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas inspiration

Thomas Kinkade - Christmas Chapel
The countdown to Christmas is coming to an end.
A new year is soon going to begin with new facts, new stories, new events, including, to some, the end of the world – and I’m particularly curious about this one. The year 2011 isn’t over just yet though,and the next three days are the most anticipated of the whole year. 

There are not as many decorations as in the past years, the Christmas trees do not exceed in number and, although the people still fill up the big malls, buying till their wallets get sore, the magic Thomas Kinkade atmospheres only remain in our childhood memories while everything assumes lackadaisical and uninspired tints. Unless – unless we are able to recreate it genuinely in our small nutshell, not focusing on expensive gifts but rather on the people we spend our holidays with, the chats around a table wealthy of Christmas food and, why not, a nice, old, classic Christmas movie. After all, during a time when acting and writing are suspended for most actors and writers, a good movie or a good book - someone else's work - is the best way to recharge our inner Muse with new bits of inspiration. 
So, I made a list – my list – of the ten Christmas films that to me best depict how the Christmas atmosphere should be like, basing my choices on nostalgia and childhood memories:

Here they are:

Trading Places – Christmas in New York! A comedy starring Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd, directed by John Landis.
Home Alone and Home Alone 2 – Macaulay Culkin.
Scrooge – Universally acknowledged as the best film adaptation of Dicken’s story, with Alastair Sim, made in 1941.
The Grinch - Jim Carrey makes the best Grinch ever!
The Nightmare Before Christmas and Batman Returns – Tim Burton’s dark atmospheres have something magically Christmas-like.
It’s a Wonderful Life – Frank Capra’s old time classic.
Toy Tinkers – Could I leave Donald Duck and Chip'n'Dale out?  
Mickey’s Christmas Carol – The cartoon’s hand-made drawings make one of the best Christmas atmospheres ever!

What movie best portrays Christmas to you? Is it one in my list?
Are there, instead, any books you'd suggest for Christmas?


Merry Christmas to you all, dear followers and fellow bloggers!!!

.

6 comments:

  1. I've got to admit that my favorite Christmas movies are Love Actually, the holiday scenes in Bridget Jone's Diary, and The Lion in Winter (not something that makes you eager to snuggle down with your immediate family for the duration!). For a book to linger over, definitely Dylan Thomas's A Child's Christmas in Wales. Of course traveling around Europe is a fine Christmas pursuit as well! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jay,
    Nice and timely post! Love the pic you chose for this post. From your list, I have to go with "It's a Wonderful Life". I also love "Miracle on 34th Street" (A classic, of course!). Something more up to date, the 2003 British film, "Love Actually" (I'm such a romantic fool, so I love this one especially). "The Nutcracker" (both the movie and the ballet performance at the theatre), and last but not least, "While you were Sleeping".
    I've seen them all twice or more. That's what I'll be doing this Christmas ;)
    Wishing you and your family a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I got (in no order):

    1.A Wish For Wings That Work,
    2.It's A Wonderful Life,
    3.Miracle On 34th Street,
    4.A Charlie Brown Christmas,
    5.A Christmas Carol, Patrick Stewart version
    6.The Radio City Christmas Spectacular (though not a film, a holiday tradition)
    7.White Christmas,
    8. How The Grinch Stole Christmas,
    9. The Life And Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank. Baum,
    10. Year Without A Santa Claus.

    Merry Christmas to you, Jay...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie, I saw Love Actually and Bridget Jones' Diary. For the book, I heard a lot about it and never managed to read it. I will! Merry Christmas!
    Claudia, It's a Wonderful Life, I was hoping someone would mention that. I've seen Miracle on 34th many years ago, but I don't remember being particularly touched. Love Actually was a nice comedy, I enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting and merry Christmas Claudia!
    I totally agree with you Marcella! I am one who shuns last minute rushes to the big malls, looking to absolutely buy I don't know what for people I barely know. We're on the same page! Merry Christmas!
    Tom, nice list. I confess I haven't seen A Charlie Brown Christmas. But I can see why you enjoyed the other movies!
    Thanks and merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meet me in St Louis! :-)

    And The Great Escape - they always show this on the BBC but this year didn't - nevermind! Next year maybe!

    Happy Christmas! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Meet Me in Sant Louis!
    And happy holidays to you, Old Kitty!

    ReplyDelete