Leaf

Leaf

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Stardust


Back home, when I looked up at the sky last night, all my old friends were there.

Betelgeuse and Rigel, as bright as ever, holding up the entire group of Orion. Then, Aldebaran, or Alpha Tauri. It was taking me a while to distinguish Taurus' horns, so, remembering what my old biology professor suggested ages ago, I looked at them with the white of my eyes and finally made them out. Moving East, there they were, Castor and Pollux, from which Gemini hung like a flag when it's windy. Sirius showed up too, South of Orion, but I couldn't spot the rest of Canis Major; it was too early, and I should've stayed up too late to see all of it. My eyes shifted a few degrees and I wondered, "where’s Canis Minor?”. I could only see Procyon and Gomeisa and I wasn’t even sure Canis Minor was made of only two stars. The Pleiades too floated there, slightly North-West of Orion, in the constellation of Taurus, a small patch of several luminous dots immersed in a weak and scarcely visible nebula. Only when I observed them with my binocular did they disclose all their charm. 

Somersaulting so to have my face turned North, I saw the North Star. She wasn’t majestic, and I had to squint my eyes to see it, but she had the wonderful charm of a refined and experienced young lady. Cassiopeia kissed me right on the mouth with her "m" shape for "muah" and I – shame on me – didn’t even remember the names of her stars because they're all letters of the Greek alphabet and I never know which one is which. I couldn't see Triangulum, but frankly I never liked him and he never liked me. 
I couldn’t leave without greeting Ursa Major though, but I couldn't find her. So, I went inside and got my stars book. I checked the maps and still couldn't locate her. Ursa Minor was there and said "shhh"; she must have been up to something. 

I looked West, and a bright red dot was low on the horizon and just about to disappear. "What?", I thought, "It can't be Venus, it's too late and Venus's not so red". So, I tried to convince myself it was Jupiter, but Jupiter had to be somewehere South. "Mars, maybe? No, it isn’t the period and the position is wrong too". My mom came out to see if my blood was still warm, and she solved the riddle by saying, "It's a satellite". I laughed her back inside in an amicable way and looked the star up in my book: she had the strangest name, Formalhaut. I didn’t remember whether she was part of a constellation; naturally, this is something you wouldn’t say to a lady, so I tipped my hat, placed my voice, and gallantly said, “How do you do?”.
As I did, also wondering how old she might be – but never asked! – a falling star crossed that portion of the sky.
I made a wish and realized it was time to go back inside.

Some of you might wonder, “What does this have to do with acting, or even writing”?
Well, do you know the story of the writer whose wife constantly complained at his spending hours every day looking out the window?

A special complimentary note will go to all those of you who know – or can guess – how the writer always replied.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jay,
    Well, regarding Venus/Jupiter, did you know that on Monday 26th and Tuesday 27th we were able to see Jupiter and a crescent moon? Or it could have been Venus. I'm sure I read the article said Jupiter because it's one of the brightest planet. On Christmas Eve I saw a bright star in the southwest direction from my house so I'm assuming that was Jupiter ;) Just too beautiful for words!
    Hmmm regarding your question, I have no clue whatsoever. :(
    Looking forward to reading the answer.
    I wish you a wonderful and successful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how you talk with the stars

    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have an iPhone, buy the SkyView app =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia, no, I had no clue. South-West, hmm, yes, it must have been Jupiter. Whatever it is,you're so right: too beautiful to even attempt a description. Happy New Year!

      Happy New Year, Amy!
      I don't just talk with the stars, but with all elements of nature, stones, flowers, animals, and plants alike. I think we all do, after all. You too, in many of your poems ;)
      I look forward to reading more of them.

      Jenn, Thanks for the tip. I don't need that app right now, but once I'm back in the city, I'll definitely buy it! I miss the stars when I'm in the city.
      Happy New Year!

      And so, the answer to the writer riddle is:
      the writer replied to his wife, who always complained at his spending hours looking out the window: "You think I'm wasting my time, but I'm working instead".




      Happy New Year and may all your 2012 dreams come true!!

      Delete
  4. I love it on a really clear night watching the stars. It is a bit of a treat in London and always makes me feel connected to the rest of the planet.
    Oh and the app that Jenn recommended is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't just love it, I need to feel connected to the universe. Unfortunately, New York and the big cities in general don't really make things easy. How do you manage in London? Do you drive to the suburbs?
    I'll definitely get that app!

    ReplyDelete