Leaf

Leaf

Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Warm Welcome to the Fall

I would like to take a small break from my discourses on acting and dedicate this week's post to the Fall.

The Fall: I associate the Fall with Sinatra for some reasons I can't explain. Maybe because there's something romantic about the Fall. The warm colours of a burning candle glittering through a glass of red wine: this is the image I have in mind in this precise moment, as I write.

In contrast, the realization that everything is ending adds a melancholic backtaste to that red wine.
I find this best expressed in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "A Rainy Day", although the poem is not specifically about the Autumn.



The Rainy Day  

2010 - Autumn Rain


The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the moldering wall, 
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the moldering Past,
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the blast,
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! And cease ripening;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all, 
Into each life some rain must fall, 
Some days must be dark and dreary. 

    H. W. Longfellow                                                       




..                                                  

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem! It's the perfect depiction of a gray and rainy day in Montreal. I've felt like that on cold autumn days. Indeed, it feels like fall. Thank you for sharing this poem so appropriate for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Claudia,
    I believe this poem is appropriate both for its literal and its metaphorical meaning.
    I believe we have all to learn from that last line laden with wisdom.
    Thank you once and again for reading my posts,
    my dear, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, a beautiful poem. There is something rich in living in a place that has seasons, it helps us see all aspects of ourselves. I lived in CA for eight years and although it was great in many ways, it lacked something temporal, perhaps. Be still, sad heart! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    I totally agree with you. Personally, the changing of the season creates dynamism, movement, reminding me that the same kind of dynamism happens within ourselves.
    I love poetry too and I'll be posting more poems here and there, between an act and the other.
    Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jay,
    Thanks for the poem. It really does sum up what I believe about dark times in our lives and how everything is transitory. Great blog too! Always good to hear from a fellow actor. Very insightful.
    Have a great day and I look forward to following your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeff,
    I'm glad you appreciate the poem. People usually say it's dark and sad, but I believe there's a hue of hope throughout it all.

    ReplyDelete